In August I went to the baby shower of my quilting friend and I knew I wanted to make something for her new little girl. So I waited for a pattern sale on Simplicity and picked up vintage pattern 2629. Charlotte wasn't going to be a girly girl I knew, but I couldn't resist giving her one outfit that tipped the frou-frou scales. I decided on a relatively safe pink and brown cotton shirting for the gown (view B). There were three tucks on each side and for the neck I cut some bias binding, just as Charlotte's mom taught me to do.The back of the dress had some little pearlized buttons and more tucks.
The week before the shower, I decided to go a little crazy and make her a coat too (view D). But not just any coat, the girliest froufiest coat I could make.
Yes, I went for the border eyelet and yes, I added pink ribbon. I ran out of eyelet the day before the shower and had to run 45 minutes south for some more. I broke the blade on my serger and had to finish with french seams. I finished a few hours before the shower and made my photographer snap photos when he should have been getting ready. I was a bit of a mad woman, but we made it. And Charlotte's mom was pleased. So it was worth it, even if my poor serger was out of commission for a few weeks while we waited for a replacement blade.